Strawberries are in season 🙂 !!!! If you are at your local farmer’s market, I know how difficult it is to walk past these insanely attractive crimson red berries without wanting to sample them. I always end up buying in bulk despite of knowing that they can’t be consumed in 2-3 days since their shelf life is much shorter than the store bought ones.
After figuring out that making jam is the simplest and the most productive way of using them up, I have never had the dilemma of buying them in bulk.
Making anything in the Instant Pot is a breeze and so is the jam! It saves so much time without making your cooking counter messy!!!
Strawberries are naturally low in pectin, so not adding pectin could; prevent thickening of the jam to the right consistency thus leading to overcooking.
With Instant pot, we need not worry about the overcooking part at all 🙂 And in regards to thickness, adding sugar in 1:1 ratio acts as both preservative and thickener.
I slightly decrease the sugar proportion since I like my jam little runny and store it in the refrigerator.
My 2 year old son loves to have this jam with almost anything! So you can imagine how quickly it can get consumed 🙂 Also, I can rest assured about any added artificial additives!!!
- Roughly chopped strawberries – 2 cups ( approximately 1 pound of strawberries)
- Sugar – 1 and 3/4 th cups
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 medium lemon.
- Turn on the Sauté mode and add all the ingredients and wait for the sugar to dissolve completely. This will take around 2 mins.
- Now turn on the Manual mode for 6 mins and let the pressure release normally (NPR)
- Again turn on the Sauté mode for 2-4 mins for thickening the jam.
- Transfer the jam into sterile air tight jars, and refrigerate once cooled completely.
Enjoy !!! 🙂
Note: I like my jam a little runny so 2-4 mins sauté after NPR seems to work for me. If you prefer thicker consistency, sauté for longer period with constant stirring until desired thickness is achieved.