I was going out of town the next day. While scanning my fridge, I found a tub of ricotta cheese that I had bought to make lasagna but never got time to do. Surely my husband wouldn’t use it up! I didn’t want to waste it neither did I have enough time to do anything elaborate. Frankly speaking, Google search is a real savior during such times!
I came across this recipe for making Sandesh in microwave. After trying it out, I would say, this sweetmeat should definitely be included in your Diwali or any other festive food list because- it’s different, it’s yummy and most importantly, you can make it in a flash!!!
All you need is :
Ricotta Cheese – 15 oz or 425 g
Sugar – 5 tbsp
Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder – 1/4 th tsp
Saffron (Kesar) – 4-5 strands
Milk – 2 tbsp
Butter – to grease
Nuts – (Almond or Pistachio slices) to garnish
Let’s get started:
- Microwave milk for 20 seconds in a small bowl. Take it out, add saffron strands to it and mix.
- Grease a bowl with butter. Add the cheese and saffron mixed milk and mix well.
- Now microwave this for 5 minutes stirring after every 1 minutes’ interval.
- Then add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Stir after every 1 minute.The cheese should have lost the moisture by this time. If not microwave for few more minutes using your judgement.
- Allow it to cool.
- Grease your palms and make small balls. Flatten them and give the shape of your choice.
- Garnish with nuts on the top.
- Refrigerate for few minutes to set.
Kesar Sandesh is ready to be served!!!
- The quantity of sugar can be added or subtracted according to your taste buds.
- If the cheese turns too dry while being microwaved, add some more milk to it.