Setting up your first own home is the most exciting phase in life. But it could also become overwhelming and daunting when budget, space and time comes into consideration.
I remember the days spending hours together at the kitchen sections of Target and Wal-Mart, clueless and baffled. Every item on display is alluring! Being a newbie to full-fledged cooking, I used to end up buying unnecessary junk and leave out necessary items. Thus ending up paying excess money and visits to the store.
These experiences made me come up with a must have kitchen essentials list taking budget and space constrain into consideration. I have categorized them as follows:
- Microwave oven: if your apartment doesn’t have one
- Blender : Now for Indian cooking you would need a heavy-duty mixer grinder that you could get from India( the one with US motor) or buy from amazon. But a magic bullet could also be a best bet. But if you are planning to prepare idli dosa batter at home, opt for the Indian make.
- Coffee maker
- Knives : I would recommend not to compromise with quality here. A good Chef’s knife and a pairing knife are all you would need.
- Cutting Board
- Kitchen scissors
- Can opener
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing Bowls ( 1 medium, 1 large)
- Rolling Pin
- Oven mittens
Here you have 2 options. Either you could opt for a set or assorted pots and pans. Also you have choice of the materials like nonstick, hard anodized nonstick, ceramic and stainless steel.
In a cookware set which either comes in 10, 13 or 14 pieces (including the lids), you get skillets, saucepans, saute pan and stock pot. Pretty much everything you need comes in the set.
Here are some good options to consider:
- Calphalon Hard-Anodized Nonstick 10 piece cookware set
- Calphalon Stainless Steel 10 piece cookware set
- T-Fal 18 piece Non-Stick cookware set. This includes some bonus utensils as well.
- a small (8″) and a large (10″ or 12″) skillets
- a small and a large sauce pan
- Mixing spoons
- Wooden spoons
- Turning spatula
- Slotted spoon
- Silicon spatula
Wooden and nylon utensils are heat-resistant and do not damage the nonstick coating of the cookwares.
- Storage containers– for leftover foods and packing lunch
- Canisters- for coffee, tea, pulses
- Coffee mugs
- Dinner plates
- Spoons, forks and knives
- a cookie sheet
- a round cake pan
- a loaf pan
But if you are sure you would do a lot of baking, then go for this one.
This is briefly what you would need to build your kitchen. But remember, you need not buy everything at a time. Prioritize your requirements and then make your purchases. Gradually, as you cook more, you will understand how to stock your kitchen efficiently.
Internet is the source of pictures in this particular post.